This week we had our very own Ps Reni Selvan speak to the church about unity in the body of Christ.
Scripture was taken from Ephesians 4:1-3. From this passage, Ps Reni mentioned that there are four important characteristics which Christians should have:
- Humility (see also Philippians 2:3)
- In the church, there are often differing views and opinions as we are all wired differently. Instead of breeding contempt, we should be humble and teachable, putting others above ourselves to maintain peace in the body of Christ, and trusting that our leaders have the best interests for the church in accordance to God’s will.
- We should treat everyone with gentleness – this exemplifies Christ and builds up the body effectively.
- Be slow to anger and patient with one another, especially to pre-believers. We have to be mindful that there are others watching the church, and how we act may either leave a negative or positive experience for them.
- Love (see also 1 Corinthians 13:1-3)
- Above all, love your brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as pre-believers who have yet to come to know Christ.
In closing, Ps Reni urged the church to “make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit” (Ephesians 4:3) and deny the devil of any opportunity to use us as tools to destroy unity in the body of Christ.